Monday, February 8, 2010

Turkey Tacos Yummy, yummy

I hope everyone had a nice start to the week. This is a tough economy and times are tough for many but things will get better. We just have to keep hope alive. Tonite we will be making turkey tacos.



Turkey Tacos are one of my favorite.

You will need:

One box of non-name brand taco shells (12 in a box I believe)
One bag of non name brand tortillas
1-2lbs of ground turkey meat (For 4 adults and 2 kids we use 2 lbs and 2 adults and kids 1 lb)
Taco seasoning (if you do not have it I have included a recipe for it below)*
One onion
One tomato
lettuce
Shredded Cheese - I shred around 2 cups or so
salsa
tortilla chips (optional)

I start by putting the turkey meat in a frying pan on high. After a few minutes turn to medium. Brown the meat and then, drain it. Then add the seasoning to the meat. Turn the meat to low and let it cook while you open the pinto beans. I pour them directly into a little food processor and blend them together. A blender would also work. It is just easier to scoop beans out of the mini processor. After the beans are blended I put them in a small pot on the stove. If I am lazy I put them in a microwaveable storage bowl. This way I can microwave them (2 minutes) and when we are done put the lid on and put them in the fridge. Easy... While the meat and beans continue to cook I cut the lettuce (just a cup or two),dice a tomato, and dice an onion. Then I shred the cheese. All that is left is to turn off the burners and stuff the tacos. I usually put beans first in the hard shell to hold it together in case it cracks. Then I put everything else. With the tortilla I put beans first also. After I fill the tortilla I microwave it 15-20 seconds and then roll it up while it is hot. Then we eat. Yum.
Enjoy. This meal is very good and under $10.00 for everyone.
Have a great evening.


**Taco Seasoning**

# Add 2 teaspoons of chili powder.
# Add 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt.
# Add 1 teaspoon of garlic powder.
# Add 1 teaspoon of cornstarch.
# Add 1 teaspoon of ground cumin.
# Add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper or hot paprika.
# Stir to blend.
# Makes the equivalent of a 1 1/4-ounce package of taco seasoning mix.




"Once you choose hope, anything's possible." -Christopher Reeves

2 comments:

  1. Do you make a big batch of the taco seasoning and keep it in a container or do you just make enough to use at the time? I am thinking of making my own, but would ened to make a big batch to keep on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! i really love your posts, keep up the GREAT work!!!<3 xx peach

    http://momomoworld.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete